The Falmouth Packet Service commenced to operate out of Falmouth in 1689 and ceased operations in 1850. The ships carried mail to and from the far corners of the British Empire, this included the West Indies, South America, Gibraltar, Malta, Corfu & our longest standing allies the Portuguese.
A service called the “Kings Post” started in the reign of Charles 1st He chose Falmouth as a Port because we were at war with France at the time and Falmouth was a secure sheltered harbour, and safe from pirates.
The packet ships were fast, light weight and had minimal fire power. Instead of looking for confrontation they could sail away from it.
The packet often carried huge sums of bullion. One of these the Hanover was lost off St Agnes North Cornwall in 1763.
She was carrying a vast amount of gold, passengers and mail. She was over Laden and was lost in the severe gale in the middle of winter returning from Lisbon Portugal.
The last Packet set sail from Falmouth was in 6th December 1850 Called “The Seagull”.
One of the last Captain’s of The Falmouth Company retired and bought this building, which was a coach house.
He opened The Falmouth Packet Inn in the mid 1850’s.